Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rain

Well, the first week without the Smiths (the senior missionaries here) has come and gone fairly uneventfully. School continued as usual, although Karen and Tiffany (the school teachers) have been fighting various illnesses. They have seemed to alternate being sick, but have not had to cancel any school as each has just filled in for the other. They have 21 students in 3 different grades, so they keep rather busy.
 
We continue to average around 25 people each clinic day with maladies ranging from parasites to malaria to bronchitis to cuts and scrapes. Friday seemed to be baby day as I saw several infants who seemed quite ill. I gave out a lot of liquid antibiotics and hope they will recover soon. Although I am able to spend only a limited amount of time with each patient, it is a blessing to be able to speak a word for the Lord here and there. (All of course hear a gospel message before the start of clinic.) This past week, I saw Pauline, a lady I had met during my previous stay here. She seemed to be a faithful Christian then, but has since backslidden and no longer attends church. I talked to her briefly in clinic but hope to go to see her in her home soon. I tried to see her Saturday but she was away in her garden (some distance from her home). Please pray that I will get an opportunity to speak with her, that the Holy Spirit will be at work in her heart, and will guide me as to what I should say.
 
We have been a little concerned about our lack of rain lately. It is supposed to be the rainy season, but we have had no rain to speak of for many days. We had prayed for the rain to hold off during the special opening services a few weeks ago, and the Lord answered, but the rain has not returned to its normal schedule since then. This is a concern because all the water we use (for drinking, cooking, showers, toilets, and laundry) comes from rain that we collect in large water tanks. Our tanks were only about half full, not a good sign in the middle of the supposed rainy season. All that to say, last night it rained quite a bit and then it rained again today. I must admit this has completely changed my attitude toward rainy days:-)
 
When replying, please delete the previous messages. Please do not send photos or large files. Thank you!

No comments: